Water Supply

Water Supply and Distribution

Raw water for the City of Kimberley is collected from two sources.  The main source is the Mark Creek watershed north of Kimberley supplying approximately 80% of the City’s population. The second is the Matthew Creek watershed west of Kimberley supplying the remaining 20% of the City’s population.

Mark Creek Supply

The raw water is supplied from a double curvature arched dam located 6 km upstream of Kimberley that holds 62,000,000 us/gal (270,000 m3).  The water is piped through a 710mm (28”) main line to the Mark Creek Head Tank at the Mark Creek Chlorination Station where the water is chlorinated using chlorine generation producing 0.8% sodium hypochlorite. The chlorine dosing is flow paced with chlorine residual compound loop control maintaining a normal set point of 1.30mg/l free chlorine residual when it leaves the head tank, this free chlorine set point is intended to maintain a free residual to the far ends of the distribution system at a level of 0.20mg/l.

The free chlorine residual is monitored by online instrumentation at four (4) different locations throughout the distribution system which are alarmed to City of Kimberley on call staff. These alarms are set to activate if the free residual should drift outside of the predetermined ranges. Other online monitoring of the raw water at the Mark Creek Chlorination Station includes inlet pressure, water flow, turbidity, water temperature and pH.

This system supplies water to Kimberley and Forest Crowne (not including Marysville and the properties located in the vicinity of St Mary Lake Road).

Matthew Creek Supply

The raw water is supplied through 3 perforated riverbed intake pipes to a holding pond located 8.5 km west of Kimberley.  The water is then piped through a 400mm (16”) main line to the Matthew Creek Chlorination Station where the water is chlorinated using calcium hypochlorite producing 1.5% chlorine solution. The chlorine dosing is flow paced with chlorine residual compound loop control maintaining a normal set point of 1.20mg/l free chlorine residual when it leaves the Chlorination Station, this free chlorine set point is intended to maintain a free residual to the far ends of the distribution system at a level of 0.20mg/l.

The free chlorine residual is monitored by online instrumentation at three (3) different locations throughout the distribution system which are alarmed to contact City of Kimberley on call staff. These alarms are set to activate if the free residual should drift outside of the predetermined ranges. Other online monitoring of the raw water at the Matthew Creek Chlorination Station includes inlet pressure, water flow, turbidity, water temperature and pH.

This system supplies water to Marysville, Kimberley Golf Course, Riverside Campground, River Bend Lane, River Bend Road, River Ridge Way, Tamarack Lane and Sunflower Drive.

For information on Water Quality, click HERE