Incentive Programs & Rebates
The City of Kimberley offers incentive programs and rebates from time to time to encourage energy efficiency and/or new investment in the community.
Current initiatives are:
The City of Kimberley’s Energy Efficient Building Incentive Program was established to help builders and homeowners reduce the energy demand, carbon emissions and costs associated with heating and cooling of buildings. The City has adopted the BC Energy Step Code requirements for all new buildings constructed in Kimberley. These requirements set performance targets to achieve higher levels of energy efficiency in new construction that goes above and beyond the requirements of the BC Building Code. The BC Energy Step Code puts British Columbia on a path to meet the province’s target that all new buildings must be “net-zero energy ready” (i.e. meet the requirements of Step 5) by 2032.
In Kimberley, all new standard buildings (Part 9 residential or commercial, less than 600m2) must be designed and constructed to achieve at least Step 3 of the BC Energy Step Code. All new complex buildings (Part 3 residential, commercial or industrial, exceeding 600m2) must be designed and constructed to achieve Step 1 of the BC Energy Step Code.
Kimberley’s Energy Efficient Building Incentive Program supports implementation of the Energy Step Code and improves the comfort, quality and value of new buildings constructed in Kimberley. Under this program, the design of each new building project must be modelled and assessed by an independent certified Energy Advisor to identify opportunities to reduce energy demand and improve efficiency. This combination of pre-construction energy modelling and on-site testing during and after construction ensures that both the design and the constructed building meet the requirements of the Energy Step Code.
Eligibility for the Energy Efficient Building Incentive
- Applicants for new buildings must submit a EEBIP Application and a copy of the pre-construction energy modelling and performance assessment report, completed by certified Energy Advisor, along with the building permit application package. A $500 discount will be applied to the Building Permit fee upon receipt of report confirming the building has been designed to comply with Energy Step Code requirements. A building permit will not be issued until a report confirming compliance has been submitted.
- A mid-construction air-tightness test must be completed to ensure that the construction is on track to meet the energy efficiency standard before air and vapour barriers are covered. This test will allow builders to identify and address any problem areas for air sealing prior to drywall installation. A $400 rebate will be issued after a report, completed by certified Energy Advisor, confirming compliance with the requirements of the Energy Step Code is submitted to the Building Official.
- After construction is completed, the actual energy use and efficiency of the building must be tested by the certified Energy Advisor to confirm the final energy performance rating. The post-construction assessment report must be submitted to the Building Official prior to request for final inspection and occupancy certificate.
- A building energy label containing information about the buildings’ energy use, efficiency rating, how the rating was calculated and where energy is consumed in the building must be posted in the building prior to issuance of occupancy certificate.
- CleanBC Incentive Guide – Residential: BetterHomesBC.ca
- CleanBC Incentive Guide – Commercial: BetterBuildingsBC.ca
BC Energy Step Code - East Kootenay “Building a Legacy” Case-Study Videos
- Certified Energy Advisors:
- BC Energy Step Code - Consumer Guide to High Performance Homes
- BC Energy Step Code - Builder Guide
Contact the Building Official at 250.427.9655 or Building.Official@kimberley.ca for more information.
Investment Incentive Program
The Kimberley Investment Incentive Program provides opportunities for municipal tax exemption to encourage investment in commercial and industrial properties, cultivate business opportunities and support business retention and expansion.
For more information, click on this link: Investment Incentive Program Details